Should Parents Get a Lawyer When Their Child is Injured During a Dog Attack?
Being attacked by a neighborhood dog is a traumatic experience for an adult. For children, a dog attack can leave deep psychological and emotional scars that will require months or years of treatment to heal. Young children are especially vulnerable because they’re not always aware that their actions can lead to a dog attack and the injuries inflicted by a much heavier and stronger dog can be quite severe and potentially fatal. If you reside in Denver and your child is a victim of a vicious dog attack, you should consult a Denver personal injury attorney immediately.
Is An Attorney Really Necessary?
When your child is attacked by a dog, you want to do all you can to help him or her overcome the experience. This includes retaining a personal injury attorney specializing in dog bite cases. You might be reluctant to consider filing suit against the dog owner if it’s a relative or close friend, but it’s not about you, it’s about making sure your child gets everything he or she needs for a full physical, psychological and emotional recovery. The best interest of the child takes precedence over your and your relative’s or close friend’s feelings.
There are other reasons why retaining an attorney is beneficial:
- More compensation. Having a Denver personal injury can help your child get a larger settlement than he or she would get if you deal solely with the dog owner’s insurance company. An experienced attorney knows how to negotiate with the insurance companies to get your child nothing less than what he or she is entitled to.
- No upfront payment. Find an attorney who will work on a contingency basis, meaning you pay nothing unless he wins your case.
- Having someone to speak for you and your child. Your attorney knows the right things to say to the right people in order get your claim settled quickly and smoothly. You can have all questions and concerns pertaining to your child’s case go through your attorney so you can focus solely on your child.
- Having someone who will listen. Your attorney works for you and will advise you on what he feels is the best course of action for your child. However, he will not take any action until he gets the final word from you.
- Making sure your child is not shortchanged by the insurance company. Insurance companies often offer annuities that permit them to skim part of your child’s compensation through rebating and kickbacks. Your attorney will select an annuity that offers a maximum return while keeping the insurance companies from profiting.
- Get compensation you may be entitled to. In some cases, parents are entitled to compensation because of emotional distress as a result of their child’s attack. Your attorney can work to get you what you deserve as well.
- Peace of mind. Having an experienced Denver personal injury attorney at your side means you never have to wonder if you did all you could to make sure your child gets everything he or she needs to heal from his or her ordeal.
Where Can I Find An Attorney?
The capable and qualified Denver personal injury attorneys at the O’Connell law firm are lawyers who will fight to make sure your child gets nothing less than fair and just compensation. Contact their offices for a free initial consultation.